Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bought a domain name and now eBay is after me

Quote Originally Posted by Delusional View Post
    They don't sell domain names. He didn't buy it on Ebay.
    I wonder if this is true. How can this forum even exist if they don't take any criticism on a domain with their name in it? If they come after domain names so much, this forum probably takes the cake for being the most intrusive.
    I'm not sure if you're aware but some countries don't have copyright laws in it or sites that don't "protect" them. So if this site is ran in one of those non protecting countries this site is fine, but if the OP's site was made in the united states, which does have the copy right protecting laws.

Unfortunately, I think they can turn it into a big thing.

I know of a friend who used the word "Pinterest" in a domain name that she purchased. The site was supposed to be about crafts and recipes that she had tried from the site.

They sent her a similar letter, and she asked a lawyer for advice. He told her she was better off leaving it alone and buying another domain.

PayPal (and eBay) does technically have a right to complain about it, and they have much more expensive lawyers than you probably do. As unfortunate as it may be, you should probably comply. Next time, maybe you could use "PP" or something like that in place of the actual word "PayPal" in your domain?

I don't really know if there is anything they can do. Or if they will take action.
    You bought it legally, and it didn't stop you then.
    We ARE on paypalsucks.com and nobody is complaining.

I'd ask them for money to release the domain into their name (which they'll probably discontinue/destroy) probably get around $50 as it's cheaper then getting lawyers/legal authorities onto you.
    Contact me for prices!
    Selling eBay Profile Views!
    Legitimate and Anonymous method!

I can't think of a lot of legitimate reasons why someone would use paypal in their domain name. I am sure this site is on paypal's radar and my even be used in helping them detect fraud.
    The main reason to put Paypal in a domain name would be to mislead people into believing you are the real deal.
    Ebay/Paypal is absolutely right to go after you. Paypal is a trademarked name, and not a word. Enforcing the trademark offers some consumer protection as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I just bought a domain name with the word paypal in it, and then I got an email from ebay last night. What should I do?
    This is the email they sent me:

It has recently come to our attention that you have registered the domain name paypal-booster-system.com which mimics or contains the PAYPAL trademark. As you must know, PayPal, Inc. (“PayPal”), an eBay company, is the leading provider of online payment services. PayPal has extensively used and promoted the name and trademark PAYPAL since 1999 and registered it as a trademark in numerous jurisdictions around the globe, including the United States. PAYPAL is now one of the most famous brands around the world and enjoys broad trademark rights.

We are concerned that your use of paypal-booster-system.com infringes and/or dilutes the distinctive PayPal trademark or constitutes cybersquatting, in violation of PayPal’s legal rights. Infringement occurs when someone, without authorization, uses a trademark that is identical or confusingly similar to a trademark owned by someone else. Trademark infringement occurs when this unauthorized use confuses consumers to falsely believe that the two parties are related to one-another, or that the true trademark owner is either endorsing or sponsoring the activities of the infringer. Trademark dilution occurs when the unauthorized use is likely to lessen the distinctiveness of the true trademark owner’s famous trademark. PayPal diligently protects its famous brand through court proceedings and complaints filed with World Intellectual Property Organization’s arbitration panel. Use of a trademark or domain name that mimics PAYPAL, or which is confusingly similar to it (e.g., a mark that uses a generic term with the distinctive PAL element of PAYPAL for services related to PayPal’s services, such as CASHPAL, MONEYPAL, PAYMENTPAL) violate PayPal’s well-established trademark rights and will not be tolerated by PayPal.

Various countries around the world, including the United States, have enacted laws which protect brand owners against acts of cybersquatting. In the US, the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act provides for serious penalties (up to $100,000 ) against persons who use, sell, or offer for sale a domain name that infringes or dilutes another's trademark. Infringers who have been notified that their use is infringing, but do not cease, may also be considered “willful” and could be subject to additional money damages and liability for attorney’s fees. Having received this email, you are on such notice.

While PayPal respects your right of expression and your desire to conduct business on the World Wide Web, PayPal must enforce its own rights in order to protect its valuable and famous name. We appreciate that you may have registered paypal-booster-system.com without full knowledge of the law in this area. Nonetheless, under the circumstances, we must insist that you stop using the domain name, not sell, transfer, or offer to sell the domain name to any other person, and simply let the domain name registration expire. You also must not register any other domain names that infringe the PayPal or eBay trademarks.

Just to be clear, PayPal does not desire to interfere with any legitimate business you may be conducting. We are simply asking that you offer those legitimate services under a name, mark and domain name that is not likely to confuse consumers to believe that your company on one hand and PayPal on the other hand are related and/or affiliated.

Please reply to this email and confirm that you will comply as requested. If we do not receive this confirming email, we will have no choice but to escalate this further and take whatever action that may be required to protect PayPal's trademark rights.

Sincerely,

Edith
    eBay Legal Department
    Too bad he didn't tell us what happened after this. Did he get rid of this domain? Has he tried to sell it?

Was the paypal in the domain name actually that important after all? I'm sure you can find a domain name that doesn't cause issues but I feel that they should reimburse your purchase nonetheless.