Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paypal consultant screwed by Paypal

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Bloom View Post
    I'm a British citizen and worked as a consultant to PayPal's senior management in San Jose, where I learned that PayPal is a cheap and practical way to make person-to-person payments internationally.

When I took a working holiday to Australia, I availed myself of this service by transfering $1,800 from my UK PayPal account (funded by my UK bank account) to my Australian PayPal account (linked to my Australuan bank account). This money was to pay my living costs 'down under'.

My Australian account was instantly limited due to high balance, meaning my money was taken from the UK but could not be withdrawn in Australia. Neither could it be refunded or otherwise used.

In order to lift the limitation, PayPal requested:
    1. A scan of my passport. No problem! Done.
    2. A utility bill for my address in Australia - nope, sorry, don't have any of those, I don't pay the utilities here.
    3. A recent tax audit - nah-ah, not an Australian tax payer yet, not been here long enough.
    4. An australian driving licence - my British one just wouldn't do.
    5. A copy of my visa (not just the grant number) - well they don't issue paper visas so the number's all I've got!
    6. Employment contract - still looking for work, bud.
    7. Letter from my HR department - see above!

I phoned to explain that I don't have these documents, so the agent advised me to open a dispute from my UK account to get the money refunded. I did this. The dispute was closed in the Australian Me's favour. Meaning UK Me is down $1,800 and I have no idea whether I'll ever see that money again in any country of the world.
    As a "Paypal consultant" you should have known it is illegal to have multiple Paypal accounts. And as a "Paypal consultant" you should have also known that you can use one account everywhere in the world. I really don't buy you being a "Paypal consultant". I would love to hear what job you had.

Quote Originally Posted by Delusional View Post
    As a "Paypal consultant" you should have known it is illegal to have multiple Paypal accounts. And as a "Paypal consultant" you should have also known that you can use one account everywhere in the world. I really don't buy you being a "Paypal consultant". I would love to hear what job you had.
    I agree with delusional in believing you don't work for paypal. But I think it's legal if you have a account for the different countries since I don't think you're allowed to use a UK paypal in another country.

That is complete bullshit... I really hope you get your money bro, that is a A LOT to just loose like that.

That is horrible! How you could ever trust them with your money again, I can't imagine. That is just awful. I don't know how they could ask for all of that information when you weren't even an Australian citizen. Ridiculous!

Has the issue been resolved since, I couldn't imagine losing that kind of money, especially letting them away with it, I'd drag them through the mud and every court in the land.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Bloom View Post
    I'm a British citizen and worked as a consultant to PayPal's senior management in San Jose, where I learned that PayPal is a cheap and practical way to make person-to-person payments internationally.

When I took a working holiday to Australia, I availed myself of this service by transfering $1,800 from my UK PayPal account (funded by my UK bank account) to my Australian PayPal account (linked to my Australuan bank account). This money was to pay my living costs 'down under'.

My Australian account was instantly limited due to high balance, meaning my money was taken from the UK but could not be withdrawn in Australia. Neither could it be refunded or otherwise used.

In order to lift the limitation, PayPal requested:
    1. A scan of my passport. No problem! Done.
    2. A utility bill for my address in Australia - nope, sorry, don't have any of those, I don't pay the utilities here.
    3. A recent tax audit - nah-ah, not an Australian tax payer yet, not been here long enough.
    4. An australian driving licence - my British one just wouldn't do.
    5. A copy of my visa (not just the grant number) - well they don't issue paper visas so the number's all I've got!
    6. Employment contract - still looking for work, bud.
    7. Letter from my HR department - see above!

I phoned to explain that I don't have these documents, so the agent advised me to open a dispute from my UK account to get the money refunded. I did this. The dispute was closed in the Australian Me's favour. Meaning UK Me is down $1,800 and I have no idea whether I'll ever see that money again in any country of the world.
    Wow even those that paypal hire and use are subject to such ridiculous problems and limitations. I wonder why they hired you in the first place, and you should have used other services since this is really an awful thing.