Thread: The truth about ebay and merchant accounts

Chad Guest

Default The truth about ebay and merchant accounts

My paypal account got limited, I completely panicked because that puts a complete stop to all my ebay sales, my only source of income. Then I found out that I don't even have to use paypal to sell on ebay. Some of you may have all ready known this but it was complete news to me. All the problems I have had with paypal over the years could have been avoided by not using them. Never has either paypal nor ebay ever mentioned that I had options. And it certainly is not something that they advertise. Being that ebay owns paypal that is obviously going to be what they shove down their sellers throats. But guess what I threw that shit up and moved on. being limited is the best thing ever happening to my pain in the ass paypal account because I found out I don't have to use it anymore. But the funny thing is that when I called ebay about this they said that I can only sell with paypal. BS i said as per your own website you accept other means of payment processing as well. The lasy said that it may be true but paypal is the preferred method of payment. For them maybe, more money in their pockets but I prefer my money in my pockets! So anyone out there hating paypal as much as I do and still need to sell on ebay, you can do so without paypal!

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    So anyone out there hating paypal as much as I do and still need to sell on ebay, you can do so without paypal!
    The fucking bastards limited my account over 2 years ago and have yet to release my money, over $800! Nobody hates them more then me. "The safer, easier way to pay" that may be true the way they are ripping off sellers left and right. I was looking at a few merchant accounts and signed up with MerchantInc just after my account got limited and havent had my money held or been ripped off since Try matching that paypal!

Mikenike Guest

best part with a merchant account is that they don't hold your money in a separate account. all money goes directly in to your bank account. That way they can't hold your money.

XIIV Guest

why is it that paypal can randomly hold your money but merchant accounts don't? Then why wouldn't everyone just use a merchant account instead of paypal?

Unregistered Guest

Merchant accounts will hold your money and limit you if they catch you practicing shady business.

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Merchant accounts will hold your money and limit you if they catch you practicing shady business.
    I would hope so! If you are doing shady business you got no business having a merchant account and taking peoples money.

Moza Guest

Quote Originally Posted by XIIV View Post
    why is it that paypal can randomly hold your money but merchant accounts don't? Then why wouldn't everyone just use a merchant account instead of paypal?
    The biggest criticism of PayPal is that it acts like a bank, but it isn't regulated like one. This means that PayPal offers none of the protection that real merchant account offer, and it isn't required to maintain any of the security, customer service or dispute resolution services that merchant accounts provide. Whatever paypal has in the user agreement is it. And in their user agreement ther have written (in an not so easy language to read) that they have the right to hold your funds at any time for any reason. So there you have it!

Dawg Guest

Was told by an ebay rep that I have to use paypal if I want to sell on their site (ebay US) which I thought was odd as I have seen some merchant accounts saying they are ebay compatible. After looking around on ebays own website I discovered that that rep I spoke to was just full of crap. Don't believe what they tell you, do your own research.

LARA Guest

I am selling on ebay with a merchant account that I got with MerchantInc who hooked me up with the authorize.net payment gateway super cheap. Have not had one dispute or chargeback since I made the switch

Wittlor Guest

why doesn't ebay tell everyone that they don't have to use paypal??? Oh that's because they own that crappy company called paypal. Buyers and sellers would both be happier with merchant accounts as they offer much better protection. The onl one that wouldn't like it would be ebay and the scammers.