Thread: Advice?: eBay Pay as Guest CC payments not working

Unregistered Guest

Question Advice?: eBay Pay as Guest CC payments not working

Hi everyone

I am a registered eBay user (eBay registration is about 3yrs old) and because I've read this site for years I pay for eBay wins/purchases as a guest via PayPal (which looks like the **ONLY** payment option available on eBay anymore :-(, I have yet to see a seller who offers anything other than PayPal/Bill Me Later.) I have never sold anything on eBay, I'm strictly a buyer there.

Well in the middle of holiday shopping (by bidding & Buy It Now on eBay) all of a sudden PayPal payment as a guest with my credit card no longer works for me. eBay Checkout wants me to sign up for PayPal which I do not want to do. I keep retrying paying the sellers but the same error/ 'sign up for PayPal' message keeps showing up.

Any ideas on how I can get my sellers paid besides signing up for PayPal? I only have one credit card which I pay off in full every month so I know the problem is not with my credit card. I do not want to give PayPal my bank account info or use my ATM card there and I do not want to sign up for an eBay credit card.

Would one of those prepaid gift card credit cards you can buy at the mall or at any big box store work in the eBay/PayPal checkout or am I going to have to stiff my sellers and probably get my eBay account suspended for not paying for about 7/8 items I've won/bought (I have 6 that are definitely mine to pay for and 2 which I may or may not win in the next few hours but believe me I am no longer bidding & buying, which is a loss for eBay, PayPal and those sellers.)?

I don't know if this makes a difference but all of the sellers I am dealing with are in the UK or Japan and I am in the USA.

I swear this is the dumbest thing eBay/PayPal have done yet and I can't be the only eBay buyer with this problem but if this is how these businesses are going to do things maybe it's better I either get kicked off eBay or somehow successfully pay off these sellers and in the future shift my online business to other sites like Amazon (and Rakuten in Japan).

I want to support small online sellers especially those here in the USA but because this is so frustrating, I may not be able to spend money with eBay/PayPal anymore.

Anyway thanks for any ideas and insights you all may have.

Unregistered Guest

Unhappy

So no one has any advice for me?

I'm running out of time to solve this problem. I know it's holiday time & people are busy but I thought surely someone here would be able to help me.

Can anyone answer my question on whether it's worth a 100 mile round trip to the nearest mall (I live in a rural area, the nearest Wal-Mart is a 30 mile round trip) offering Simon gift cards to go get one so I can go pay off my eBay sellers (I have 7 auctions I won right as PayPal froze my credit card for payment which I had ***NO IDEA*** was going to happen otherwise I would not have bothered to bid)?

I guess I'm going to have to leave my sellers high & dry...if someone here is one of them, I am very sorry but no one (PayPal, eBay, and I guess now the people who might know here) gave me any advice on how to get you paid so I guess even though I have the credit card (& the money) to pay you I won't be paying you.

And to those on my gift list who would have received these items, sorry but thanks to eBay/PayPal you're not going to get as good a gift as I had chosen for you.

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi everyone

I am a registered eBay user (eBay registration is about 3yrs old) and because I've read this site for years I pay for eBay wins/purchases as a guest via PayPal (which looks like the **ONLY** payment option available on eBay anymore :-(, I have yet to see a seller who offers anything other than PayPal/Bill Me Later.) I have never sold anything on eBay, I'm strictly a buyer there.

Well in the middle of holiday shopping (by bidding & Buy It Now on eBay) all of a sudden PayPal payment as a guest with my credit card no longer works for me. eBay Checkout wants me to sign up for PayPal which I do not want to do. I keep retrying paying the sellers but the same error/ 'sign up for PayPal' message keeps showing up.

Any ideas on how I can get my sellers paid besides signing up for PayPal? I only have one credit card which I pay off in full every month so I know the problem is not with my credit card. I do not want to give PayPal my bank account info or use my ATM card there and I do not want to sign up for an eBay credit card.

Would one of those prepaid gift card credit cards you can buy at the mall or at any big box store work in the eBay/PayPal checkout or am I going to have to stiff my sellers and probably get my eBay account suspended for not paying for about 7/8 items I've won/bought (I have 6 that are definitely mine to pay for and 2 which I may or may not win in the next few hours but believe me I am no longer bidding & buying, which is a loss for eBay, PayPal and those sellers.)?

I don't know if this makes a difference but all of the sellers I am dealing with are in the UK or Japan and I am in the USA.

I swear this is the dumbest thing eBay/PayPal have done yet and I can't be the only eBay buyer with this problem but if this is how these businesses are going to do things maybe it's better I either get kicked off eBay or somehow successfully pay off these sellers and in the future shift my online business to other sites like Amazon (and Rakuten in Japan).

I want to support small online sellers especially those here in the USA but because this is so frustrating, I may not be able to spend money with eBay/PayPal anymore.

Anyway thanks for any ideas and insights you all may have.
    Have you contacted the sellers you are unable to pay to see if they can offer an alternative payment solution for you? I know that can get a bit tricky when they are international sellers. Sometimes it depend on how the sellers website is configured and what options they offer on their website (this option may not be be enabled).I have had the same problem with all of the sudden my credit card wouldn't work, and you never know when this will happen with paypal, some transactions go through and some don't.