Thread: Selling from a website, can paypal still ruin you?

T.J Guest

Default Selling from a website, can paypal still ruin you?

After 9 years as a Power Seller, I had 20 packages go missing in Customs. eBay downgraded me to below standard, forced me to ship overseas via registered mail, angering my customers AND started having Paypal hold my $ for 21 days. My DSR was .04% over the limit and they didn't give a care. Put me out of business. I'm now setting up a GoDaddy checkout website to sell my collectibles but I'm afraid paypal will find a way to screw me again. Is paypal the same whether you sell on eBay or your own site?

Hothands Guest

Quote Originally Posted by T.J View Post
    After 9 years as a Power Seller, I had 20 packages go missing in Customs. eBay downgraded me to below standard, forced me to ship overseas via registered mail, angering my customers AND started having Paypal hold my $ for 21 days. My DSR was .04% over the limit and they didn't give a care. Put me out of business. I'm now setting up a GoDaddy checkout website to sell my collectibles but I'm afraid paypal will find a way to screw me again. Is paypal the same whether you sell on eBay or your own site?
    Paypal sucks no matter how and where you use their service. Yes they can and will do the same thing they did to you when you were selling on eBay. If you have all ready gone through the process of setting up your own website why not get a merchant account too instead of paypal. You'll have your money in your checking account in 2 days and no holds or any of the other BS that paypal does.

lizz Guest

I set up a website for my non-profit cat rescue organization and wanted to be able to accept adoption fees and donations. I didn't have that much money coming in but the little I got was better then nothing, helped pay for vet bills and food for the cats. Then paypal decided to limit my account telling that I am high risk. I may be half way there crazy cat lady but I assure you I pose no threat to paypal. This has caused me to have put down 3 cats because the funds for vet care was not available and will not be available for another 3 months.

Jerom Guest

It dont matter how you sell your stuff, website or ebay paypals gonna find a way to take your money. I aint never trustin paypal with my money again they still holding over $600 of my money from sales I made in ebay and through my site.

Unregistered Guest

Default yes they can ruin your business

they have limited my account taking between 15 to 25k a month for no reason. thats 70% of my turnover gone, and until thats fixed I'm into overdraft to cover the money. Staff are also now on short time, with christmas looming.

Yes, they can ruin a business, and your life.

we are in the process of rebuilding our 20 year old business from scratch, thanks to PayPal.

the problem was that internet sales used to be only a small part of our business. we outgrew paypal, but stayed with them out of inertia. By the time our online sales were 75% of the business, paypal was our only online payment processor, they had us by the nuts.

that was our mistake. I'm now looking at another payment processor who will also let customers pay by paypal, but we don't need a paypal account or anything to do with the scum. Basically with PayPal we dropped our trousers to them, and they.... well, you know..

at 5% it looks like a fair deal. I'll just raise my prices 2% to cover it, and then goodbye paypal.
    In the meantime the Bank have turned out to be the good guy, and helping us through the financial shit that paypal have caused us.

Klemens Guest

It is sickening what paypal is doing to people and business and I am sure come christmas time they will be even busier taking peoples money. A good rule of thumb with paypal is don't buy or sell for more money then you can afford to lose.

Suki Guest

I have a webstore and used PayPal as method of payment. They suddenly terminated my account just because there was an increased number of transactions. Had they bothered to find out more about the business itself and why? Did I provide them with all the info they asked? Yes. Did they still shut me down and freeze funds without warning yes. I hate them so much!

OPsupplies Guest

I had a paypal account for 2 months, and suddenly they frozed it. they wanted me to send them a bill with my name and address which I did, I called them the next day and told me that, they have no interest in doing business with me and will cancel my account. I did everything that they asked me to do, and they didnt care about me. My online business is the only thing I have as money income and they just played with me. Now I need a new way to accept payments fast!

mmkling Guest

I was a merchant selling items on my website and paypal limited my account by stating the goods were counterfeit. I asked them how did they determine this, they stated they investigated and came to the conclusion the items were fake. Yet I had no disputes from customers and the exact same items were sold on Groupon, Cudo, Ourdeal and many more websites which utilize paypal payments. They don't have any evidence supporting themselves apart from banning my account based on what? They have no official evidence and I have contacted all customers who have been happy with the service my business provides online. Paypal stated they can not remove this limitation or provide details regarding this. I have been advised they can do nothing and tell me no further information, I have to subpoena Paypal in order to do anything. In the meantime I don't have a payment solution online for my business which is my main source of income. Paypal is not your pal it is simply a money hungry whore of a service and has no care for smaller businesses trying to make a living.