Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Legal to sell virtual items?

I notice many people selling virtual items on eBay. I'd imagine some are making a decent enough profit but I agree with the other replies here that it is a risky venture. I would recommend doing some in depth Google searching on specialized forums for those virtual items as many close-knit communities online exist for such things and have heavy traffic.

Been down this road with runescape gold, sell a guide with it. For example for 4.99 get a guild to riches and a free 5m gold! so when you sell them the guide you can type it then send it to them though mail or a friend did the online delivery of sending them the guide though email which is a option on there. Then afterwards give them the gold. So it's possible to sell virtual items just sell something "tangible" also..

It isn't illegal, but it is risky. PayPal won't cover you if someone scams you while you're selling these products, and many other payment processors won't, either. However, you can make good money from virtual stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by elle_kay View Post
    It isn't illegal, but it is risky. PayPal won't cover you if someone scams you while you're selling these products, and many other payment processors won't, either. However, you can make good money from virtual stuff.
    That is an excellent point. It is extremely risky, and you are probably going to get ripped off at some point, because there is no way a payment processor is going to cover it.

Quote Originally Posted by batman57 View Post
    Don't sell anything on eBay that you can not ship with a tracking number. You are setting yourself up for a loss.
    Agreed, although you can sell an item although virtual, they can turn around and actually block your account and as he rightly pointed out, the buyer of your downloaded image or whatever it is your selling on your account, can have a dispute opened, meaning the buyer can take the and keep the item and then be given his/her money back.

Technically, I don't feel this to be illegal as you can sell anything on ebay, even your virginity as some girl found out. That being said, it still is risky buying virtual items through ebay. You may be better off purchasing said items from ClickBank, if they offer it.

Quote Originally Posted by ProXI11 View Post
    Yes it is legal but VERY risky for the seller. Think about it; A tracking number is all that Paypal will take in to consideration as proof of delivery. PayPal does not consider any e-mails as evidence. So if one of your buyers opens a dispute "Item not Received" they will win even if you e-mailed or they downloaded the item virtually.

This is what eBay says about it

[url=http://reviews.ebay.com/Buying-and-Selling-Virtual-Items-on-eBay?ugid=10000000004609906]eBay Guides - Buying and Selling Virtual Items on eBay[/url]
    Exactly. Selling virtual item would be like asking to get scammed. It is to risky for me. Unless i was selling it to someone i know personally.
    It's just business!

Last I heard it was against ebay's TOS, so even if the buyer got the virtual item and you have proof that they got it, all they have to do is say they expected a real physical item and they'll get their money back. Then you're out your money and they already have the item. This is actually a common scam against sellers on ebay.

I would not advise you to sell services on eBay. This is because you can never prove that people actually delivered the services. I think on ebay they work better with services that have a tracking information.
    Professional Article Writing services at affordable prices [URL="http://www.contentneed.com"]contentneed.com[/URL]

Its definitely legal. But as said above, very risky. Make sure do keep clear records and evidence. Buyers also tend to be wary. In the photo of your virtual item be sure to include a piece of paper in clear view to stating your Ebay username. I find this helps.