Thread: A Paypal Telephone Assistant gave me incorrect information and now I'm out of pocket

Tweetiepie Guest

Thumbs down A Paypal Telephone Assistant gave me incorrect information and now I'm out of pocket

A Paypal Telephone Assistant gave me incorrect information and now I'm out of pocket !

Thankfully the amount (6.20) isn't huge -but please read on as my experience could save you a similar fate and potentially a far larger cash sum.

Paypal has put me to enormous inconvenience. Negotiating their online complaints procedure is a joke so eventually I just thought 'Dammit!' -and phoned.

I needed to return an item that was misrepresented by the seller in Germany but the cost of return postage overseas was prohibitive (i.e. at 6.20- half its value in fact !) yet Paypal states that the buyer is liable for this charge. I explained the situation and saga re the buyers behaviour to date and why buyers could not be expected to return the item unless there was some assurance that the postage could be recovered also. The lady assistant confirmed that Yes-Paypal would take care of all that too.

A day later the item refund appeared in my account -MINUS the postage! I phoned again and the new advisor said the first assistant had been INcorrect. He located the tape of that earlier call and I was left to believe that once it had been heard, I would be contacted.

Two weeks later -still nothing! I took up the complaint again online but just kept receiving responses (mainly automated) telling me that my case has been resolved. One slightly less robotic effort said my case could not be investigated further but gave NO explanation 'Why', NO apology, and NO refund or any intention to make amends. I was just advised to 'Keep in touch with the seller' (at uncut-dvds.co.uk) but they know full-well that's impossible as he had been abusive and insulting, so basically I've now been shafted twice, once by the seller and once by Paypal.

On principle, I just wish there was an alternative payment agency I could use for buying online. I wouldn't trust Paypal now and just thank my lucky stars the sum wasn't larger.

Outrageous. I am glad to hear you didn't lose a lot of money but that is not the point because PayPal would have done the exact same thing had it been a large amount. If paypal had to reimburse you for time and aggravation you'd be a millionaire.

There is not much you can do when you end up with a paypal problem. You are totally at Paypals mercy. They will promise you anything you want to hear just to get you off the phone. Then there are the lies about them calling you back....they never do.
    Paypal is the most frustrating company to deal with.

ugh! paypal really does suck! I'm glad your not doing business with them anymore!!

I have seen paypal alternatives on this site for people located in the UK. Maybe you could find some relief from Paypal. I don't know how they get away with what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweetiepie View Post
    A Paypal Telephone Assistant gave me incorrect information and now I'm out of pocket !

The lady assistant confirmed that Yes-Paypal would take care of all that too.
    If that was on a recorded call they HAVE to honour it, call them back, speak to a manager and have them listen to the call, they will need date and rough time of call

good luck