Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't let eBay fool you

Exclamation Don't let eBay fool you

A lot of times eBay will tell people that you can only sell on eBay using Paypal but this is NOT true.

It is east to link a merchant account's payment gateway to ebay (and never ever have to deal with paypal).

This is how you do it (hidden on ebay's website)

[url=http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/checkout-preferences.html]Selecting your payment preferences[/url]

To set up your payment gateway on eBay checkout:
    Click My eBay at the top of most eBay pages. You may need to sign in.
    Place your pointer over the Account tab, and then click Site Preferences.
    In the Selling Preferences section, click the Show link next to Payment from buyers.
    Click the Edit link.
    On the Payment Preferences page, select Accept credit or debit card payments to your Internet merchant account.
    Next, you'll need to enter your payment gateway information.

Note: If you need help finding any of this information, please contact your payment gateway provider.

To enter your payment gateway information:
    Choose your payment gateway provider from the drop-down menu at the top of the page.
    Enter your Merchant login (sometimes called "gateway login" or "API login ID"). This is the ID that identifies your account at the gateway for transaction processing.
    Note: This ID is usually different from the user ID you use to log into your gateway's website.
    Enter your Password (sometimes called the "password" or "transaction key").
    Note: Usually, this is a password that was generated by the payment gateway for you, not a password that you created.
    Depending on the payment gateway you use, you may need to enter a Vendor ID or User ID.
    Depending on the payment gateway you use, you may need to enter a Partner ID.
    Select the credit cards you'll accept through this payment gateway.
    Select your merchant preferences, such as whether you'll require buyer's credit cards to pass Address Verification (AVS) and Card Security Code (CSX/CVV) checks.
    Enter the credit card information for a credit card you accept and that's accepted by your gateway. Note: Your credit card won't be charged. We use this information to test that everything works correctly.
    Review your information and confirm it is correct.
    Click the Submit button.
    Once you have your payment gateway account information setup with checkout and enabled in your preferences, buyers have the option of paying you online by credit card.

I had inquired about this back when I first started selling on eBay and I was told that paypal was my only option if I wanted to sell on eBay. Now I know this is not true but back then I believed them.

Spread the word MagPie!! People really do believe and are told that they must use PayPal when selling on Ebay...NOT THE CASE! They make people think that it is too difficult to try to use any other legitimate, law-abiding merchant account services but that is definately not the case. Some people may very well use Paypal because Paypal literally is their only option but for most...you can and SHOULD look into your alternatives. They are, in fact, better than Paypal!

they tried pulling the BS with me, I called my merchant service provider and they walked me through setting up the account on ebay

Leaving PayPal was the best move I made. My only regret is that I didn't leave PayPal sooner. They are the worst when you need a little help. Don't have that problem now...i can pick up to dial support 24/7 with my merchantinc account. Sell on Ebay no issues...

Yea, Ebay and PayPal partner to give people the ole' one two punch! I have a bad taste in my mouth from a purchase I made on Ebay using PayPal. I still look around Ebay but I will not use PayPal to make another purchase...it took the one time done wrong and damn straight I am not about to be had by PayPal again! I don't even bother if a seller doesn't offer another form of payment acceptance. Visa or Mastercard is the way to go and as the buyer you are protected.

one thing I forgot to mention is that once I started using a merchant account to sell on eBay I have had way more sales because now anyone can buy from me not just people with a Paypal account

Quote Originally Posted by MagPie View Post
    one thing I forgot to mention is that once I started using a merchant account to sell on eBay I have had way more sales because now anyone can buy from me not just people with a Paypal account
    I have never really thought of that perk with using a merchant account. I have friends that refuse to get a paypal account (smart) but then they can't buy from anyone that only accepts Paypal so they miss out on a lot of good shopping on ebay.

One question for you?

Do I still need to have a paypal account if I sell using a merchant account on eBay? Because the whole idea would be to get rid of Paypal completely.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkAlone View Post
    One question for you?

Do I still need to have a paypal account if I sell using a merchant account on eBay? Because the whole idea would be to get rid of Paypal completely.
    NO you do not need a Paypal account if you have a merchant account. No more paypal isn't that a refreshing thought?!