Thread: Paypal debt onto NCO financial (canada)

MrRiley Guest

Default Paypal debt onto NCO financial (canada)

Late last year, i sold a gold chain on ebay for $1,300. Money was received, the item was shipped and life was good. A week or two later I checked my paypal account and it was negative $1,300 due to a chargeback. I e-mailed ebay and paypal on everything that happened and they were absolutely no help. So I said forget it, I'll just ignore this negative balance and NEVER go back to neither ebay or paypal. Finally 3-5 months later, I've received a letter from NCO financial saying "This payment is seriously overdue. The total owed shown above must be paid to the office listed below immediately to avoid further collection effort on our behalf." I was worried, since this is my first time dealing with debt collectors. I couldn't pay this even if i wanted to, I'm a college students that's barely making it by. So i got to doing some research on this. I've found many different opinions. Some say ignore it, some say pay it, some say send a letter requesting validation? Some of these posts were a few years old, so I figured I would make my own thread for some up-to-date advice! I would really appreciate it!

Oh btw, I live in Canada if that changes anything

All right this is what I would do;

Tell the debt collector that you never owed the debt and if they continue to try to collect the debt that you do not owe, you will sue them. This is you demanding them to provide verification of the debt.
    Now remember, the collection agency most likely bought this debt from PayPal for pennies on the dollar which then makes it impossible to prove that you owe the debt.

So to sum it up: I would not pay and not worry about it.

MrRiley Guest

If they never bought the debt, would that mean paypal hired them? If so, what would happen if they did provide verification and i never paid them? also would it be better if i contacted them through mail or telephone? Sorry for the all the questions! i know almost nothing about this stuff. I'd rather take time to pay the debt rather then being sued, but if my chances lean towards them having no proof then i'll just roll with that!

thanks for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by MrRiley View Post
    If they never bought the debt, would that mean paypal hired them? If so, what would happen if they did provide verification and i never paid them? also would it be better if i contacted them through mail or telephone? Sorry for the all the questions! i know almost nothing about this stuff. I'd rather take time to pay the debt rather then being sued, but if my chances lean towards them having no proof then i'll just roll with that!

thanks for the reply!
    OK this is how I look at it;

You sold the gold chain and got paid. The payment was reversed and they now say you have to repay the $1300 which would be OK if the gold chain was returned to you but IT WAS NOT!!!!
    There is no proof that the gold chain was returned to you (like a tracking number) so then there is no proof that you owe the debt. If the gold chain had been returned to you and you didn't pay then you owe that money to paypal but this is not your case since you don't have the gold chain.

What are they going to sue you for? Is there is anyone they should go after it is the buyer that has the money and the gold chain.

Wait for the debt collectors to contact you and then contact them both via mail and phone to let them know that you do not owe this money.

fuck paypal. Do not give them a dime! Tell them to go and screw themselves.
    They are such thieves and you do not owe them anything!
    And please do not loose any sleep over this.