NoPaypal
You are not logged in! [ LOGIN ] or [ REGISTER ]
NoPaypal Horror Stories: PayPal Did it! Thread: Ebay-PayPal? What does this mean? -- Page 1 | Jump To: 

Sender Message
Thread: Ebay-PayPal? What does this mean?
<rayden54>
Not Registered

Ebay-PayPal? What does this mean?
Sent: 01-11-2004 14:58

Can anyone reccommend a good (as in generally accepted <B>&</B> reliable), online payment service?
I dont think the of the ones you reccommended ones are in general use (with the possible exception of BidPay, and it has a BidPaySucks site)

<shawn>
Not Registered

Sent: 03-31-2003 21:02

Quote:
Ebay owning Paypal could turn to be a monopoly. I only wonder if using Paypal services might become actually safer since Ebay would have control over it. As it is now, I do use Paypal since I am based in Australia and have not much other choice but do see it risky. Maybe Ebay runing the show will be more secure?
Use Paymate www.paymate.com.au they are EXCELLENT any mainly for australians.

<Steve>
Not Registered

Sent: 03-27-2003 17:18

Well, now Ebay allows buyers to filter out sellers who don't accept Paypal. But oddly, you can\'t filter out any other payment types not accepted. Ah yes, good old Ebay. Methinks I smell a rat.

<Josh>
Not Registered

Sent: 03-20-2003 03:22

<Truth Teller>,
PAYPAL DOES SUCK! HOW CAN I SUE THEM THEY ARE HOLDING $1000.00 for no reason they wont let me know why!!! FOR OVER 4 MONTHS NOW! Help!

<Steven>
Not Registered

Sent: 02-11-2003 05:23

About a month ago I listed a MAC G4 laptop on ebay, I high a bidder out bid all the other by a long shot. After the auction ended I sent the winning bidder info for payment, He told me he lived in Indonesia and choose to pay with paypal. (I know, I know NOW…) He asked me to ship the item next day, and would pay an extra $100.00. I agreed.

I told him I would e-mail the tracking # as soon as I see payment was made. Within a few hours he sent $1300 to my paypal account. I then told him I will have it shipped in the morning and I will e-mail the tracking # the next day, I went to the post office and shipped off the laptop express international mail. I then went home and sent him the tracking so he can confirm the shipment. Here's the catch...

With in an hour after I sent the tracking # THIS LOSER REVERSED THE PAYMENT, AND CALLED PAYPAL AND TOLD THEM I RIPPED HIM OFF.. PAYPAL NEVER CALLED ME OR SENT ME AN E-MAIL asking for shipment info, ALL $1300 WAS TAKEN OUT AND RETURNED BACK TO THIS LOSER. I was never even given a chance to supply a tracking # to paypal which I had. I called and called, and was told it was being investigated. I got the e-mail the clearly stated that they were done with their investigation and determined that the fund be returned to the buyer. HOW can that be, I had proof of shipment and noon wanted it..

It was like talking to a 2 year old no one knows anything and I was promised everything. To this day my account was locked down and I have never heard back.. I AM SO GLAD I FOUND THIS SITE.. It's like finding an old schoolmate; we have all been ripped of by this MOB style company. Also needless this looser has never replied to my 100s of e-mails..

Just yesterday I was selling a laptop on ebay and I got an e-mail from a person in Indonesia and wanted to pay with paypal and wanted me to end the auction early and wanted to have it shipped ASAP. I told him I was going to hunt him down and cut his manhood off, I also sent all the sellers he was high bidder on and told them about my story, and many e-mailed me back and said this guy requested they end the auction early, and he wanted the item shipped next day mail and Oh yea… HE MUST pay with paypal..

Ravage
New User

Sent: 02-10-2003 23:10

I would like to appologize for getting off topic, but I think (more like hope) it helps with my point

<BrianWorf>,

Thank you for your kind words, but I mis-represented myself... I am out of High School yes, but not right out. I have been out for going on 3 years now. I still thank you for the compliment. I like your entry as well. neultral and un-bias. I mentioned some of the good entries and bad entries of this site to a friend, and he said the same thing you did...

"I think customer service at ALL companies has gone down the tubes"

I hear those kinds of stories about almost everyplace I shop... Fry's Electronics, KB Toys, AT&T wireless... you name it, somebody hates it!

which is good I guess... If nobody hated Paypal, then bidpay would not have a strong customer base. Target vs. K-Mart, Safeway vs. Lunardi's, and my all time FAVORITE RIVALRY... Hasbro vs. TONKA. Transformers won it out, but TONKS's GoBOTS sure had some neat toys to clash against Hasbro's Cybertronians!

I really do thank the makers of this site for creating it, It does a person well to know both sides of a situation...

Let's face it, I can watch the news just fine, but I would never get the WHOLE story if it weren't for SNL's "Weekend Update" or Comedy Central's "The Daily Show" hehehe... funny stuff

I too, would like to thank the admin's for a top notch, well organized posting site. That's about it. Later!

<BrianWorf>
Not Registered

Sent: 02-10-2003 16:54

<RAVAGE>, Ravage, Nice and well thought out post and commentary. And you are just out of high school? Wow, now I am impressed. If only 1/2 of the kids out of college were as well-spoken.....<p>
On the subject, I think sites like this serve a valuable purpose to help show all sides. I personally have not had any problems with Paypal at all, but I do like to keep informed as to potential. <p>
I think customer service at ALL companies has gone down the tubes. I can tell you stories about cell phone companies, computer companies, insurance companies that make some of the Paypal horror stories pale in comparison!! One of the worst was a big computer outsource company I worked for that actually FIRED someone for missing work for Jury Duty!!
<p> I have noticed that people who hate Paypal recommend other alternatives, such as Brightpay, when complaining about fees; but neglect to mention everybody has fees. Brightpay charges a %2.5 fee on merchant accounts, and is now charging a $1 a month fee on all accounts with a positive balance. Anybody using any online payment service is going to have to pay fees in some form or another (even non-profits have overhead costs that somehow must be paid) and they should be careful and record every transaction in detail and keep records. Case in point, my problem I had with a cell phone company (Cell companies I think have more complaints per customer that those claimed for Paypal here!!). I paid, they cashed my check and turned off my service for non-pay. The bank, meanwhile LOST the original check and the microfiche copy was illegible. I continued paying my current bill for the 6 months and was assured by the cell phone co. I would NOT be turned off while this was being investigated. I wasa turned off every Friday at 5pm like clockwork!! FINALLY after 6 months, the bank FOUND the original check, and I trotted down to the cell phone co's main office. After demanding the highest manager onsite, and showing my evidence (including logs of everybody I talked to and every time my service was disconnected), They appologized profusely and gave me 6 months free service credit!! So lesson here, is document everything!!
<p> Closing, I'd like to say good job to PAYPALSUCKS (administrator) for keeping a really clean website with more facts and honest opinions without so much slanderous name-calling. I will keep reading this site...

<Black Feathr>
Not Registered

Sent: 02-08-2003 21:59

Ravage,

I had posted that in response to the person saying that all of us are going to pretty much have to get over it and how great paypal is. That wasn't you.

Ravage
New User

Sent: 02-08-2003 00:32

question for <Black Feathr>... was that pointed towards me? (<RAVAGE>)

I never spouted how wonderful they are, just that for me they are convenient

I only ask because the notice of new entry had your post in reply to <Mike>, but there has not been a mike since page 3 if I recall

and my name is not Mike, it is Ravage. (my post shows me as not registered, but I was and astill am... (I got timed out but the entry still went through)

<Black Feathr>
Not Registered

Sent: 02-07-2003 14:43

I think you are full of it personally. I had to wade through 4 pages of internet before I found paypals' 1-800 number. they had emailed me a few times in response to my angry phone inquiries that the buyer DID use a stolen CC, but I was under investigation for fraud for not sending goods. The payment reversal occured 3 HOURS after payment was sent. No way can an item be shipped in 3 hours.

Twice I had to fax paypal my bank statement, my bank signature card, my credit card bill, my phone bill, and my drivers license. Plus emails and icq's from this guy that even stated he received the goods. It took almost 4 weeks to get my account reopened with paypal. By then I had missed the hot selling season on ebay for jewelry==Christmas.

Paypal took the money out and I don't know what happened to it. In the mean time they stated the whole thing is my fault for selling virtual goods (Ultima Online). Thing is I sell jewelry and character portraits as well. Paypal has been a staple for me and I am not a big business.

Now just 2 weeks ago more money was retracted from my paypal account which put my balance in the negative. At this point I was suspended again until I put the funds from my bank account back into my paypal account so they could take the money. On my account page it says the money went to a reversal investigation. There went my groceries and food for my kids. The guy had paid me under a different name and account before--to my understanding he posed as someone else. Paypal confirmed it was the same person but would give me no info so I could file an FBI report.

I was on the phone every day with them.

I am out the money and the goods. I have been accused of fraud which is so INSULTING I don't even know where to begin. And you say how wonderful they are?

You are a liar.

<RAVAGE>
Not Registered

Sent: 02-05-2003 04:50

Hello all! This is my first time here. I will appologize in advance for what will surely be a long entry ^_^

First, I'll get a few things out of the way... I am a BOY (FYI)
I DO NOT work for ebay (I've been there as they are a few miles away from me)
I DO NOT work for Paypal (I have never been there, but they too, are mere miles from me)

I will not waste time with repeating things... I read every entry to this thread and would think that the rest of you are current on them yourselves.

I have a high school diploma! BEAT THAT!!!!!!! o_O

o.k., down to business...

I have been on ebay for 3 years, I love it. I find it (word of the the day) *convenient*
as is paypal. I had a potentially large problem that I (with my high school diploma) resolved with 2 e-mails. Here is what happened...

I get notification of money recieved ($1,050) Of course I thought that someone wanted to give me their money because I am a super-cool guy, but the mention of a server rack changed that thought pretty quick to this thought...

"I don't have one of those whatcha-ma-call-its!"

I e-mail the winner and tell him that I cancelled his payment because I don't have one of those thingy-ma-jiggers, and he tells me that he had been wondering about some things anyway.

turns out that some nut got into my e-bay account, put this thing up for auction and said that he (I) ONLY take bank/wire transfers

well...

I guess this guy should have taken a look at his little auction post where (I) have plastered that I GLADLY TAKE PAYPAL

I did not contact Paypal, since I resolved this little ordeal myself. I still have this guys name, bank of choice, AND ^_^ bank account #! hehehe

I basically had a close run in with disaster, but Paypal's notification system (and a buyer who could read) teamed up and saved me from an e-faker.

I (unlike others) can easily see the points of both sides.

I agree that those whom have been wronged, need to take action to correct their situations, BUT I feel that paypal still is a great thought, and may in time prove itself to be great, until then, it is only convenient.

I am primarily a buyer (and sole supprter of northern California's economy) If you only knew how much I've bought to how little I've sold! o_O (easily $12,000 on purchases, vs. [MAYBE] $20 to sales) well, I guess you do know now...

while I am not dangerously paranoid, or even readily concerned, I am at least aware of the common creed of this thread... that we are not alone!... oops, wrong thread... I mean that we are not 100% safe.

However, instead of the person who made it clear how safe they are FROM fraud, and later posted a spectacular way to COMMIT fraud, I do feel FAIRLY safe. and this will work for ANYONE!!!

I have $0 in my Paypal account... do you follow me so far?
I have it linked to a checking account with even LESS money! but what about my back-up source???
here is my ultimate secret move... are you ready for this? IT'S MAXED OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahahaha ^_^

THEY CAN'T PULL WHAT ISN'T THERE!

BRILLIANT!!! and I didn't even need my photo-copied degree, MBA, NHL, NBC, FOX, or NFL to come up with it!!!

most kidding aside though, I am very aware of the risks of the internet as a whole, where if you think about it, most everything is just floating codes of numbers and letters anyway, I feel for those that think they are "safe" from anything and everything. they are very badly decieved.

all I can do (to my current knowledge) to minimize my odds of getting wound up in all these horrors, is to...
1) only bid from GOOD FEEDBACK sellers (not HIGH FEEDBACK necessarily, as I have seen many with a lot of fishy neutral and neg.)
2) maintain good contact to keep their confidence that I will follow through
3) and blindly believe in the goodness of my fellow e-bayers and Paypal-ers.

To a guy who wants the toys from 10-20+ years ago, with out paying the INSANE comic shop and collectable store prices, the risk of getting burned is still worth it.

for the most part PP_VICTIM seems to be a reasonable observer, though tends to find any comment to twist around with the goal of supporting his/her point.

but I really don't like the people that are comming here to slam important discussions. Most people won't complain if there is nothing wrong, am I right? so there is obviously something that needs fixed if this many people are here with the same opinions.

While I still fully support ebay, Paypal, and the POTENTIAL that the merger COULD produce, I absolutely support this board and others like it. I read the FAQ and a few things caught my eye...

they never say that the want to bring down Paypal, or Ebay... they just want to see the changes that have to be made, get made

and they want to see the B.S. customer service improved... oh, and the whole legal aspect addressed as well. ^_-

I have to dis-regard the un-satisfied margin of 70% (mentioned in an earlier entry by some random person, don't remember who)
but I don't doubt that there are a lot of un-satisfied people though.
I hope that the merger results in a stronger Paypal and that all of you find resolution. and if it has to be done in a courtroom, so be it. I wish you all well.

REMEMBER!
Just because something is big and well liked, does not necessarily make it good... look at Poke'mon... eh!

RAVAGE

I could not resist this when I saw it...

"Ebay-PayPal? What does this mean?"

Simple, it's a riddle... it means E-Pay-bay-Pal... duh! -_- (tough crowd)

JNBENNETT
New User

Sent: 02-01-2003 09:24

<Genia>, Why is it impossible to talk to anyone at PAYPAL? Money is deposited with them and then you attempt to send it to an e-mail address and I get a msg, "Recipient is unable to receive money." So PAYPAL keeps it and I can talk to NO ONE. How is PAYPAL still operating?

JNBENNETT
New User

Sent: 02-01-2003 09:18

Quote:
Well two stories "break" the news that ebay is going to buy PayPal for $1.5billion.

What does this mean?

Will paypal get better or worse?

Should we oppose it? It puts a lot of power in the hands of one company.

It really is going to make it next to impossible for any alternative payment system to have a chance.

And it's going to make the scumbags at paypal rich.

Is there no justice?

<Genia>
Not Registered

Sent: 01-25-2003 13:17

My mother was right. Arguing with people who have their minds made up and are not listening is like trying to put out a fire in a volcano.

<Genia>
Not Registered

Sent: 01-25-2003 13:13

Quote:
PayPal Employees: Don\'t try and flame me, trust me I know what I\'m talking about, I have a Computer Science Bachelor\'s degree, AND an MBA. So back off you uneducated bastards :)
Oh my... That was nice.

1 - 15  16 - 30   31 - 45   46 - 60   61 - 75  Next

Statistics

Currently Online: 6 Guests Most ever: 152
Total number of messages: 78437
Total number of topics: 31645
Total number of registered users: 102967
This page was built together in: 0.5987 seconds

Make Your Own Website

Credit Card Processing

New PayPal Forums

PayPal Alternative