NoPaypal
You are not logged in! [ LOGIN ] or [ REGISTER ]
NoPaypal Horror Stories: Someone else did it! Thread: Who is responsible for uninsured damaged shipment? -- Page 1 | Jump To: 

Sender Message
Thread: Who is responsible for uninsured damaged shipment?
<NOCHEX>
Not Registered

Who is responsible for uninsured damaged shipment?
Sent: 03-10-2005 11:09

Quote:
....Delivery confirmation or other forms of scanning confirmations will not suffice in all isntances. A person could claim that the package was stolen from their mailbox, etc and they will receive their money back.
Not necessarily as something stolen from your mail box shud (ideally) be covered by your home insurance, like any other unfortunate accidents in your home. The CC issuer may uphold the charged suggesting u file a home insurance claim.

More to that, a dishonest receipient MAY be able to pull it off once, but on the 2nd claim I am sure the CC issuer will back off and say the charge is valid.

<Alpine>
Not Registered

Sent: 03-10-2005 10:51

To protect yourself 100%, anything you are shipping of great value insure!! Also I would suggest signature confirmation. To win a chargeback direct from a credit card company, as a merchant you need to provide proof it was delivered via a clear signature. That's right if the person does not sign there name clear they can claim they did not receive the package still. Delivery confirmation or other forms of scanning confirmations will not suffice in all isntances. A person could claim that the package was stolen from their mailbox, etc and they will receive their money back.

<NOCHEX>
Not Registered

Sent: 03-01-2005 15:01

Quote:
....I always take the insurance when making a purchase but one time I hit the wrong key and it went through without it. The seller got her money, I never got the item - she said too bad, no insurance, your problem. There was nothing I could do about it either. Do I think she ever shipped it? No. She realized I hadn't gotten insurance and I would bet my bottom dollar that item went up for auction again.
matey most ppl are not hardcore crooks who spent yrs in the nick - but it is true u shud not be giving them leeway to pull a fast one on u.... it is like on the street - most ppl are not professional pickpockets who will go for your wallet in your trousers - but if u r sloppy enough to leave it in the open somewhere, most ppl will just pick it up, empty the cash inside and drop it back. Only a few will go as far as taking your credit cards and maxing them out as soon as they can - that requires certain guts which most "by-passers" have not got. Even fewer will use your driving license to hijack your identity, as that requires even more guts.

U c my point? sending stuff uninsured and/or without proof of delivery is tempting otherwise normal people to pull a skank on you, and the way human nature is loads of them will.

Shutterbug
New User

Sent: 02-26-2005 07:35

<NOCHEX>, From what I understand, if a buyer doesn't buy insurance you are off the hook. In my case, I always take the insurance when making a purchase but one time I hit the wrong key and it went through without it. The seller got her money, I never got the item - she said too bad, no insurance, your problem. There was nothing I could do about it either. Do I think she ever shipped it? No. She realized I hadn't gotten insurance and I would bet my bottom dollar that item went up for auction again.

<NOCHEX>
Not Registered

Sent: 02-14-2005 12:50

Quote:
<NOCHEX>, just to point out that it appears the postman left the item with a neighbour because the recipient wasn't in. Will it still be his fault then?
matey TECHNICALLY if the item was sent to the address which is one digit different from the address the Buyer has on file, it was sent to the North Pole :)

Of coz if the address is right, and neighbours are good mates of the Buyer and signed for him, everything is fine.

Which of coz raises another issue of how safe this US practice of leaving a sticker on the door is. When I was in the US, I had a laptop delivered by UPS, first time I was not at home and they left a sticker which was nicked by some 15 yr old "geezers". I was lucky I was sun-bathing on the roof when they tried the 2nd delivery - those lads were outside sitting in a motor. I even saw one of them get out and try to sign for the delivery!!!! Their driver was good, I;ll give him credit for that - he drove away fast when I jumped down - one lill problem tho - they parked the motor around so I was quite capable to teach 'em a "Made in London's East End" lesson later on :)

But safety of US delivery methods is a completely different topic altogether....

island
Big BOSS

Sent: 02-14-2005 08:49

<NOCHEX>, just to point out that it appears the postman left the item with a neighbour because the recipient wasn't in. Will it still be his fault then?

<NOCHEX>
Not Registered

Sent: 02-14-2005 06:12

Quote:
....I receive a letter from the buyer regarding the damaged box and the item was ship to their neighbor instead.... before I sold the merchandise, the seller has never mention about buying insurance...
U r in a barney-rubble (trouble) here mate.

U AS THE SELLER have the responsibility to clearly outline your insurance policy. U have plenty of tools to do so on eBay. The Buyer is UNDER NO obligation to chase the seller asking what insurance will be provided and at what cost.

What I do e.g. is stating in RED CAPITAL LETTERS in Payment Instructions, Refund Policy and the Description of the Item (yes 3 times!!!) that the insurance on my items is FULLY OPTIONAL, HOWEVER in case the item gets damaged or lost in the post, full refunds will be issued ONLY if the Buyer opted for Certified Delivery WITH insurance. I had a couple of Argentinian PUMAS official rugby shirts (50 pounds value each) mucked up by "Correos Argentinos" - the buyer complaines, I presented the case to ebay saying that the Buyer HAD ALL the chances to have items insured, had been warned 3 times!!! but still opted for a cheaper uninsured delivery. EBay took my side without a doubt.

NOW real serious pickle. U r saying the item was delivered to buyer's neighbours? Well IF the address u sent the Item to is one digit different from the address your Buyer has registered on file, THIS ALONE TECHNICALLY MAKES THE WHOLE MATTER ENTIRELY your fault. U cud've just as well sent your item to me :)))

Sorry mate - but if I was the one looking at your case, I'd decide in your buyer's favour.

island
Big BOSS

Sent: 02-10-2005 03:49

newseller, if the payment total was over $250 and you do not have signature confirmed delivery, then the chances are you will be debited for the total because you did not follow the seller protection policy to the letter.

newseller
New User

Sent: 02-09-2005 11:44

island,
What happen if I didnt get the signature confirmed delivery? I do have the tracking number and I am a paypal verified seller.

<tricga>
Not Registered

Sent: 02-08-2005 10:42

island, the buyer is. Just get delivery confirmation if not insurance. Then if they try a chargeback, you can prove you shipped it and it\'s out of your hands.

island
Big BOSS

Sent: 02-08-2005 03:10

newseller, if you are a verified seller, and shipped to a verified buyer's confirmed address, and you have online-trackable, signature-confirmed delivery, and you enter it all into PayPal immediately when they ask you, you should be protected.

newseller
New User

Sent: 02-07-2005 17:57

This is the first time I sell on eBay. The item I sold was a brand new still in the original box air conditioner. Clearly, the packaging of the merchandise has no problem since it was ship in the exact same package oversea to my house. I sold the item and shiped it to Florida. Few days later, I receive a letter from the buyer regarding the damaged box and the item was ship to their neighbor instead. The buyer didnt buy any insurance and claim that they did not have a chance to buy insurance in the first place. However, before I sold the merchandise, the seller has never mention about buying insurance therefore the price I quaoted does not include insurance. I have contact DHL regarding this matter. However, as a seller, what other option do I have? The buyer paid with paypal and threaten to do a chargeback with their credit card company.

Statistics

Currently Online: 3 Guests Most ever: 152
Total number of messages: 78437
Total number of topics: 31645
Total number of registered users: 102967
This page was built together in: 0.8262 seconds

Make Your Own Website

Credit Card Processing

New PayPal Forums

PayPal Alternative

Free Shopping Cart Software