NoPaypal
You are not logged in! [ LOGIN ] or [ REGISTER ]
NoPaypal Horror Stories: PayPal Did it! Thread: HOW DO I GET MY BANK STOP STOP PAYPAL DEBITS? -- Page 1 | Jump To: 

Sender Message
Thread: HOW DO I GET MY BANK STOP STOP PAYPAL DEBITS?
Lizbeth
Message Maniac

HOW DO I GET MY BANK STOP STOP PAYPAL DEBITS?
Sent: 01-30-2005 05:24

PaypalSucks, Well, it's Bank of America - which is not to say it's not terrible. I haven't heard of a "friendly bank" in years. But others say the same thing - banks here will not stop a company's authorized draft. Of course they *can* do it, but they just won't.

CLICK HERE FOR THE BEST PAYPAL ALTERNATIVE

PaypalSucks
Administrator

Sent: 01-30-2005 01:11

Lizbeth, I'd go to a new bank. I know of many people who have put in a "stop order" or "block" on paypal at their bank with the banks blessing. Sounds like you have a terrible bank.

<Mel>
Not Registered

Sent: 01-28-2005 19:36

<Mel>, Also the bank is lying to you when they say they cant stop ACH transactions. They can have you sign an ACH affidaded )spelling? This is only possible if you signed up in this manner. If you used your debit card to fund your fee's you need to change your debit card number, cancel and get a new card.

Just a thought.

<Mel>
Not Registered

Sent: 01-28-2005 19:35

Lizbeth, I would suggest as this is what I did. I still use PP but with Great Great Caution but they still suck for the reason that there is no other at this time.

Anyways back to the point. Close the bank account. Open a free checking to be attached to the PP account only. Always transfer the money to your free cheking acct that is connected to PP. Do not use this account for anything else just use it as a temporary holding account. Once the funds are into this account transfer them to another account that is not in any way connected to PP. This is the safest way I have found to beat these guys at the moment. Although they still suck and I am looking for other options.

Also with ebay. Stop automatic payments. It takes some work but I did and I paid by either pp or sending in my fee's in the mail. I didnt like being forced ACH withdrawal from my bank by them. If you have to close the account you have ebay taken out of do it. They are really tricky in trying to go back to manual payments. I contacted them but as you and I both know they have no customer service and they do not list how to do this in the help section as this would make it too easy..~!

I have had less headache doing it the above method. I dont like their practices and I have already stopped using ebay at the moment due to their fees but I still use PP as many buyers will not buy unless you offer it. It still accounts for 95% of sales. I hate it but it is true.

Good luck to this site shutting Paypal down.!

Lizbeth
Message Maniac

Sent: 01-28-2005 11:39

<NOCHEX>, "If u ask me, I am stumped why such supposedly advanced banking system as the one in the US turns out to be so backwardly in practice...." In some areas of technology and commerce, I find the US to be way behind Europe. Banking is one of them. Cell phones are another. The satellite TV in the UK is far better than it is here, with more services, etc. Hell, I could even order a pizza over my TV in England.

On the other hand, I had trouble when depositing checks in England. You can't just deposit a check to anyone's account as you can here. In England, the name on the check (Payee) must be exactly the same as the name on the account. So you can find yourself trying to give money to the bank in England and they won't take it. That's an odd thing to have happen. Also, drive-up windows are almost unheard of. So things are very different all round, but on balance I think the American banking system is as unhelpful as it is simply because it can be.

<NOCHEX>
Not Registered

Sent: 01-28-2005 09:49

Quote:
UnLoopy, Unloopy, unless you are familiar with banking practices on both sides of the pond, you won\'t understand the comparison. Here, I can sometimes stop a debit if I know approximately when it\'s coming through and if I know the exact amount, and if the bankers pull their fingers out long enough to pay attention to my request. Oh, did I mention the hefty fees?

In the UK, I can go to my account online and authorize or de-authorize a direct debit. It costs nothing.

Strikingly different banking practices rnt they indeed? If u ask me, I am stumped why such supposedly advanced banking system as the one in the US turns out to be so backwardly in practice.... Perhaps the same sort of question as to why do ppl need to pay ATM fees withdrawing money from other banks\' cash machines in the US. That was made illegal in the UK 6 yrs ago.... Anyway that is the way it is.....

Lizbeth
Message Maniac

Sent: 01-28-2005 06:09

UnLoopy, Unloopy, unless you are familiar with banking practices on both sides of the pond, you won't understand the comparison. Here, I can sometimes stop a debit if I know approximately when it's coming through and if I know the exact amount, and if the bankers pull their fingers out long enough to pay attention to my request. Oh, did I mention the hefty fees?

In the UK, I can go to my account online and authorize or de-authorize a direct debit. It costs nothing.

UnLoopy

Sent: 01-28-2005 03:24

Lizbeth, Its called a Hold ACH or Hold AUTH, they'll probably charge you a $10 service fee but all the banks have it within their power. Your other option is just to change accounts.

Lizbeth
Message Maniac

Sent: 01-27-2005 15:04

<Caro>, I'm sorry to hear that happened to your boyfriend. It sounds like someone hacked into his paypal account. I hope he has closed that bank account, because as you say the authorization for direct debit never expires.

When my husband and I moved here from England a couple of years ago, we merrily went about setting up direct debits all over the place, as we had there. Thanks to our experiences with Paypal, we have had to close our account and change our credit card number, and we are now going to pay our bills the old-fashioned way, by check every month. No wonder Americans are leery of direct debit! Once you authorize it, you lose control over your own money. It's just stupid.

<Caro>
Not Registered

Sent: 01-27-2005 09:44

Lizbeth,

Can't do that in Canada either. I just deleted my bank account from paypal and even if something does happen, my bank was pretty clueless. Apparently by giving your bank account number you allow them to collect any amount you owe them. ONLY, this is based on the HONESTY of the company you're dealing with. I trusted paypal, I really did, but two days ago, my boyfriends's bank account was emptied. Echecks he never made were issued and there's nothing the bank can do about it. The transactions only appear on his bank statement. It was hell finding a phone number for Paypal and all they dis was giving him a claim number and say they'd look into it. From what I've seen, it's not what they do best. SO IF YOU LIVE IN CANADA, KEEP YOUR BANK ACCOUNT NUMBER SECRET!

island
Big BOSS

Sent: 01-27-2005 04:33

kst03, you cannot stop payment of a draft.
Cheques are a different story. In the UK and some other countries, banks issue what's called a cheque guarantee card, which on cheques up to a certain value (£100 in the UK) basically waives your right to cancel the cheque. For this reason most merchants won't accept unguaranteed cheques or cheques over the limit.
Of course given that we live in an age of Maestro/Delta/Solo debit cards, who writes cheques in shops now? :P

kst03

Sent: 01-26-2005 21:17

It depends on where the criminals are. In the US, they are on the opposite side (than in the UK I guess). If you could stop a bank transaction with a simple phone call, Americans would buy stuff and they stop it and not pay. Just read it on here how many people have items or money in their possession and refuse to complete the transaction. I agree. I say it is better to protect your information and limit your liability (amount of money in the bank) than to put the power in the bank customer's hands.

So let me get this straight. You go to the merchant in the UK and you write him a draft and take home a television, you can call your bank and tell the bank not to honour the draft you just wrote? In the US you can put a stop payment but you should know that it is not guaranteed. You cannot with a debit/credit authorisation.

Lizbeth
Message Maniac

Sent: 01-20-2005 15:50

<>, Yes, the have the power. But in the US they will not do it. In the UK it's as simple as going online to my bank account and deauthorizing the direct debit. Here, I'm having to change my bank account and my credit card.

<NOCHEX>
Not Registered

Sent: 01-20-2005 11:23

Quote:
I need to say that I'm in the US, because banking practices are much different in other parts of the world. In some parts of the world banking regulations actually favor customers!

I called my bank earlier and asked them to stop honoring debits from Paypal. My banker told me that they DO NOT HAVE THE CAPACITY TO DO THIS. What kind of hogwash is that? Does that mean that anyone I have authorized to make automatic withdrawals from my account can do so ad infinitum - years later? - and my bank will not stop them at my request?

Can a bank do this and my bank just doesn't want to? I have to think this is not such a difficult request. Any answers would be appreciated!

Very good point u r raising here mate.

In the UK all I had to do at some point is to phone my bank (HSBC) and tell them not to honour any debits from PayPal Inc., PayPal Europe, eBay etc..... They all tried to debit my bank acct (it was still registered with my previous PP and eBay accts) but all their attempts were declined.

In the US it DOES seem to be different. Consider this - when u phone US banks asking them to stop a particular payment, they normally ask u (among other things) WHAT EXACT AMOUNT will be attempted, down to a penny. In many circumstances u just wudnt know - so they tell u they cannot block it and all u can do is to dispute the debit AFTER it actually happens.

I have NO IDEA why American banking system is so imbecilically backwarly but this is the way it is sadly.....

Sorry to say this - but the only way to be REALLY SAFE in the US seems to be closing your account with your bank and opening a new one (obviously with a different account number). I PERSONALLY did this in the US and had no further problems with eBay/PP.

<>
Not Registered

Sent: 01-20-2005 09:22

And to answer the latter questions, yes, of course they have the power to stop people taking money from your account!

1 - 15  16 - 17  Next

Statistics

Currently Online: 10 Guests Most ever: 152
Total number of messages: 78437
Total number of topics: 31645
Total number of registered users: 102969
This page was built together in: 1.401 seconds

Make Your Own Website

Credit Card Processing

New PayPal Forums

PayPal Alternative