NoPaypal
You are not logged in! [ LOGIN ] or [ REGISTER ]
NoPaypal » Horror Stories: PayPal Did it! » Thread: Details on the Proposed Settlement of the class action lawsuit -- Page 3 | Jump To: 

Sender Message
Thread: Details on the Proposed Settlement of the class action lawsuit
<D.Adaye>
Not Registered

Details on the Proposed Settlement of the class action lawsuit
Sent: 09-11-2005 15:53

PaypalSucks, Am certainly waiting to see how everything finally plays out. Would love to see some action taken with regards to the monopolistic ways that ebay and paypal do business. I have resigned myself to not ever seeing the money I am out and will have to chalk it up to experience. But, that will not stop me from not recommending certain sites to others (we know who they are. Also, I am making it a point of not doing business with anyone online who only has the payment option that I have had the horrible experience with. I find however, on emailing sites, they do come up with alternative options....most small businesses online are very accomodating....not like certain monopolistic oversized companies with the poorest customer service I have ever experienced.
I am hopeful that the law will come up with something better than a mere "slap on the wrist" for this one.

<rob ben>
Not Registered

Sent: 09-08-2005 20:25

Ihave not heard anything from anyone after filing with the class action suit. I did the long form for 1200.00. I have not been contacted either way, how do i find a list of payees, or find out if i wil receive anything?

<DanielMontes>
Not Registered

Sent: 09-04-2005 19:41

I have given written notice to the counsels via email conference of my intent to file an appeal to the district judge in the event that my claim is denied by the claims administrator. I will set an oral hearing with the court. When? I will give the administrator and counsels ample time to do their job and disburse the funds. I expect a written letter of granting or denying my claim. Once if denied I then will file my appeal and set a date. Since, this is a class action that I recommend that any other classmembers who were also denied on their valid claims to come on board with me on the appeal. I will get things moving the first of October 2005. I am not an attorney and am only giving you my personal opinion and will be proceeding pro se before the court. I did notice that my unlocked Paypal acct is now locked because of being a classmember. That is retailatory on the part of eBay/Paypal. If you have any questions to email me at danielmontesjr@hotmail.com, Thank you, Daniel Montes, Jr., 823 Ranch Rd. 12, San Marcos, TX 78666, 512-618-1144.

<DanielMontes>
Not Registered

Notice to all classmembers of the Paypal lawsuit.
Sent: 09-04-2005 11:10

I have given written notice to the counsels via email conference of my intent to file an appeal to the district judge in the event that my claim is denied by the claims administrator. I will set an oral hearing with the court. When? I will give the administrator and counsels ample time to do their job and disburse the funds. I expect a written letter of granting or denying my claim. Once if denied I then will file my appeal and set a date. Since, this is a class action that I recommend that any other classmembers who were also denied on their valid claims to come on board with me on the appeal. I will get things moving the first of October 2005. I am not an attorney and am only giving you my personal opinion and will be proceeding pro se before the court. I did notice that my unlocked Paypal acct is now locked because of being a classmember. That is retailatory on the part of eBay/Paypal. If you have any questions to email me at danielmontesjr@hotmail.com, Thank you, Daniel Montes, Jr., 823 Ranch Rd. 12, San Marcos, TX 78666, 512-618-1144.

PaypalSucks
Administrator

Sent: 07-28-2005 15:28

Quote:
PaypalSucks, Does anyone know of any pending Class Action lawsuits against PayPal???? PayPal offered me no protection at all against a FRAUD they took over $2,100.00 of my money from my checking account. I want to sue them. HELP!!!!
I know of no legitimate class action lawsuit pending against the PayPal division of Ebay.

<Susan>
Not Registered

Sent: 07-28-2005 13:21

PaypalSucks, Does anyone know of any pending Class Action lawsuits against PayPal???? PayPal offered me no protection at all against a FRAUD they took over $2,100.00 of my money from my checking account. I want to sue them. HELP!!!!

PaypalSucks
Administrator

Sent: 07-07-2005 17:39

The PayPal Class Action Lawsuit is now closed and settlement has begun

"Short Form" claims paid approx. $14. (Down from the $50 the lawyers said it would be.)
"Statutory Form" claims paid $7. Most expected $1 or less.

"Long Form" claims will be paid sometime in August. We are told most will get substantially what they asked for in actual damages. None for consequential damages or punitive damages.

I wanted to put an explanation here for why the Short Form claims were so much lower than what we all were lead to believe....

We were all told short form claims would be $50.

There was $2,000,000 set aside for these "short term claims."

I told the lawyers at Gibbs/Girard that I felt that was way too low, and expected more claims.

They figured it this way:

$2Million divided by $50, is 40,000 claims. I'm not sure how they got to that number, but they said it was based on their years of experience as class action lawyers....

I felt that was way too low, and told them so.

I arrived at this conclusion based on the following:

At the time of the settlement, we had approx 8,000 registered users and about 30,000 posts. Only about 1 in 20 users who post here take the time to register. So I felt there would be about 160,000 claims just based on our traffic alone. I felt very few of the people that come here to this website would make a claim on the statutory form, so I was not concerned with those claims.

I estimated about 75% of those who came here would opt for the easy $50 to settle their claims. I got this rate by taking a sampling of the posts and how much money people lost. About 75% of the people lost $100 or less. I figured most all of those would opt to get $50 to just settle it. So I took 75% of 160,000 and that came to 120,000 users that I felt would put in for the short form claim.

I told the lawyers this and that I felt they were way off on their numbers. They had two answers for this:

1. If the long form claims did not use all $2,000,000 set aside for them, that money could be used to pay out on the short form claims. But they could not quantify this, and I told them it doesnt' matter because I felt they were off in their numbers by 300%, which even another $2million would not cover.

2. That in all their years of doing class action suits, they figured only 40K people would put in a claim on the short form.

I asked them "What if you are wrong? What if there are more?" I was told "That's not going to happen." I pressed them, I said "But what if..... Can you go back to the Judge and explain to him that you need more money to pay the claims?" I was told "Yes, but don't worry, that's not going to happen."

This post is to not to show "I'm right, they are wrong." The point of this is post is to show that the lawyers didn't really have a grip on this case. That the lawyers did not really appreciate the magnitude of the case, nor the number of people unhappy with PayPal.

PaypalSucks
Administrator

Sent: 06-14-2005 17:55

Quote:
PaypalSucks,

I recently got my check from the class action suite for $7. It cost me $6 to send out all my papers to the lawfirm. I was only screwed over $100 from paypal but my account was frozen and the amount went to a collections account and went to my credit report that I had to dispute. I filled out the Long form and provided A LOT of evidence. I remain disapointed.

No, this is not correct. Long form claims have not even been paid out yet. What it sounds like is you put in more than one claim, which would be a big no-no. Only statutory claims have been paid. Short and long form claims should be paid approx. in August. You did not get a long form claim check.

eldrick
New User

Sent: 06-14-2005 17:35

PaypalSucks,

I recently got my check from the class action suite for $7. It cost me $6 to send out all my papers to the lawfirm. I was only screwed over $100 from paypal but my account was frozen and the amount went to a collections account and went to my credit report that I had to dispute. I filled out the Long form and provided A LOT of evidence. I remain disapointed.

<Jeeves>
Not Registered

Sent: 05-29-2005 19:40

PaypalSucks,

A lot of you have said in your posts that you would stop using Paypal and/or Ebay if there were other options available.

That leads me to the inescapable conclusion that Ebay and Paypal will both be busted for very serious anti-trust violations down the line. When Ebay discontinued Billpoint and bought out its only viable competitor (Paypal), it represented perhaps the most serious monopolistic activity in the history of the internet. Those who think it would have happened already if it was actually going to happen (anti-trust penalties) are ignoring the fact that it took years for Microsoft's obviously monopolistic practices to be accurately identified and litigated against...this stuff takes some time to work itself out but the bottom line is if you have engaged in obvious anticompetitive/noncompetitive/collusive behaviors, something both Paypal and Ebay are guilty of, then you're in a world of trouble.

<Burke Day>
Not Registered

Sent: 05-27-2005 17:06

<AV>,

Get in line behind me. Paypal has seized over $50,000 of mine in two years and that's enough, damn it. I'm suing Ebay & Paypal in Gwinnett County, GA court -- NOW! It's more than money; it's principle, something they corporately lack.

<N/A2>
Not Registered

Sent: 02-14-2005 17:27

bjlevine, Just as there are alternative funding sites, there are alternative auctions and malls springing up. They have little traffic, but they have the exampe of such terrible auction sites as Yahoo to guide them if they wish to be a success. It is true that eBay is the way to go for high-traffic sales, but I think this is like the stock market. Don\'t put all your eggs in one basket. If you like a service like RubyLane or WaPaNg or lloyds-auction or one of the others struggling to grow, put a little in with them ... something you can afford to take time to sell. You will get in on the ground floor with the auctions, and get extra exposure in a mall like RubyLane. The hard thing is going to be to develope a really viable alternative to Paypal, with its insurance and protections and none of its many disadvantages. However, if we support some of the alternative companies, as they get bigger they will be able to afford to do what Paypal does right without arrogantly doing what Paypal does wrong.

<Ivey>
Not Registered

Sent: 02-12-2005 16:29

I don't think you would be able to sue through small calims because of jurisdiction - but check with your Court.

putty_tat007
New User

Sent: 02-11-2005 15:30

Message I received from www.onlineauction.com
FREEDOM

Well friends we are getting results. We now have thousands of registered users with over 16,000 items currently listed and we are growing daily. We have a long way to go but if we all stick together we will be successful. We promise not to raise are prices for at least eight years for the first million sellers.

Help us, help you, that's right -- Help you! We will maintain this site without raising membership fees, keep listings free and never charge you a final value fee! We will do this but it’s going to take everyone's support in promoting this site, so please email other buyers and sellers and tell them about OnlineAuction.com.

Our programmers are working diligently to help create the online auction of our dreams. I'm sure you will notice other online auctions that are trying to get into the "fed up with ebayer market" however; we are the only one creating a true solution that will work for everyone in the future. The Truth of the matter is we come from both sides of the fence both as buyers and sellers. We have built something special for everyone.

We believe that together we can change the way online auction business is done. We will never try and control your business only help you promote it. We must all focus on creating another auction site that will have a real chance, otherwise eBay or the others will be able to continue dictating how you will do business and what you will pay. Remember United We Stand and divided we fall! We must build a true competitor that believes in freedom first. We believe we are the competitor!

Thank you,

Chris_Fain@

Founder and CEO

PaypalSucks
Administrator

Sent: 02-10-2005 02:37

Quote:
PaypalSucks, Hello. I am writing a book titled Diary of an Ebay Fraud Case that will go to press March 15. I am including information on the Paypal lawsuit. I understand that it is a $9.25 million lawsuit that is still pending, but likely will be settled. Is this correct? Anyone that can provide a short synopsis please reply.
Thanks,
Bill Willcox

That's pretty much it. The only thing left is the distribution of the awards.

Prev  1 - 15   16 - 30  31 - 45  46 - 60   61 - 75  Next

Statistics

Currently Online: 4 Guests Most ever: 152
Total number of messages: 78437
Total number of topics: 31645
Total number of registered users: 102967
This page was built together in: 0.7731 seconds

Make Your Own Website

Credit Card Processing

New PayPal Forums

PayPal Alternative

Free Shopping Cart Software