NoPaypal
You are not logged in! [ LOGIN ] or [ REGISTER ]
NoPaypal Horror Stories: PayPal Did it! Thread: is there a Fair Debt Collection Practices Act in canada? -- Page 1 | Jump To: 

Sender Message
Thread: is there a Fair Debt Collection Practices Act in canada?
<PayPalTerminator>
Not Registered

is there a Fair Debt Collection Practices Act in canada?
Sent: 09-26-2007 20:40

proprone,

I'd wait at least the maximum 30 days from the date of the letter to write them back. Also registered letter signature required return receipt stating not to call you again.

proprone
New User

Sent: 09-26-2007 03:27

PayPalTerminator,

Got a letter from NCO services yesterday. Sending them back a letter tomorrow, registered, saying (in many more words)

prove i owe you anything:)

...oh, and until you can prove it, dont ever contact me again

<PayPalTerminator>
Not Registered

Sent: 09-25-2007 19:11

makubex,

Every country has some sort of laws prohibiting what a person/collection agency can do to harrassee people for collections. Look at our website for more information. Im going to post some info for Canada on my website as well.

proprone
New User

Sent: 09-24-2007 15:50

sneezy,
If someone could confirm that i'd appreciate it.

But they just have my cell #, since whoever registered the fraudulent account registered it with my cell phone number. They dont even have the correct address. I have a legitimate paypal account that i use for my buisness, and the one paypal is disputing is another account someone made in my name with (some) of my info.

So if i tell the creditors to stop calling, i'm set?

Thanks for your time fellas

sneezy
Message Maniac

Sent: 09-21-2007 16:53

proprone,

Here is the problem with NCO threatening your cerdit report - they don't have enough information to report anything! Unless they have your SIN or D/L or other unique personal information they cannot submit a claim. I have never read anyone stating that they had a negative credit report hit from Paypal.

In Canada you should simply be able to tell them not to contact you again and that will end the telephone calls at least.

proprone
New User

Sent: 09-20-2007 15:34

I'm curious, if i dispute the validity of a debt that paypal hired an NCO to collect in canada, (someone used paypal to *try* to scam me, i recovered everything but paypal now seems to think i owe them money).

If i dont pay them, send a letter to the NCO that i believe its an invalid debt, is that the end of it? will it affect my credit report?

buddhafest

Sent: 09-28-2006 16:15

stevie316,

thanks for the number, I will mail out my dispute letter today, and I don't ever intend on paying that bogus sum they claim I owe.

The address I sent my item to was from

Montcalm Street, Vacouver. Just did a google map search and its on W 70th Ave. Not sure if that's near you, thanks for the offer to scare the bugger, but I'll wait and see how this plays out.

stevie316

Sent: 09-25-2006 16:09

buddhafest,

Mail it to the PO Box or to

NCO Financial Services
75 Port Royal East, #240
Montreal QC, H3L 3T1

Phone: 514-385-4444
Fax: 514-385-2399
Toll Free: 800-641-9793

BUT DO NOT PAY IT. They can't prove you actually owe the money. If you want to send the scumbag's address in the lower mainland, i'd be happy to swing by and scare the poachies out them. I have a buddy who is a private investigator.

buddhafest

Sent: 09-25-2006 12:07

stevie316, I live in Ontario, willl try looking up for some information regarding Ontario policies with debt collection. I have a tracking receipt for the item I shipped out on Paypal as well, and I even have the person's signature.

I've already used RECOL to file a case, but seems I might have to call up the Vancouver Police department and file a report with them as well. Since that's where the person who frauded me resides.

Anyway thanks for your links and information.

BTW, how did you get NCO's Montreal office number? In the letter I received there is no number anywhere for me to call, and I have to addresses for the Montreal office. A P.O Box number address that they've told me to mail my payment to and an actual adddress, 75 Port Royal East, Suite 240.

Not sure which address I should be mailing my dispute to.

stevie316

Sent: 09-23-2006 19:51

buddhafest,
It depends on where you live. Each province has laws regarding collections. There is a general consumer collection list of prohibited collection practices at http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/internet/inoca-bc.nsf/en/ca01786e.html - if anyone needs the Business Practices and Consumer Protection Act for BC it is at http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/stat/B/04002_07.htm#part7_division1 - i received a letter from NCO as well and did research. There is one lady in Montreal who is responsible for PayPal accounts in Canada. I talked with her and she offered to settle my debt for $500 CAD (Paypal claims i owed $577 USD, if i was to actually pay, i would have only sent them $511 USD as 4 claims were sent by customers claiming "non-receipt" and i have proof of shipment for all 4 which subtracts $66 USD). I laughed when she asked if i had a checking account. I said yes but i wasn't giving her any of that info nor was i paying. I also wished her luck on collecting it and she said "Oh, i will" to which i said "No, you won't". End of Story. Shitpal and feeBay can kiss my ass for fees. As for Shitpal refunding all buyers out of my Shitpal balance of negative $20 to put it at negative $577. That's there problem. If they want to be generous and refund people out of their own pocket, why should i have to pay for it?

buddhafest

Sent: 09-23-2006 11:57

conair, Yes I would like to know if me sending in a letter using antifraudbible's template that I deny the debt would work as well. Just received a letter from NCO during the week. I want to make sure that I will only need to send one letter and get this issue behind my life. I'm worried about having to write a letter in some sort of professional legal jargon that I know nothing of.

conair
Big BOSS

Sent: 09-21-2006 17:43

makubex,
ask them for proof of debt.and show you evidence how you owe them for that amount.

makubex
New User

Sent: 09-21-2006 10:52

if im in canada and i get a letter from nco...can i also tell them not to bother me anymore?

Statistics

Currently Online: 6 Guests Most ever: 152
Total number of messages: 78437
Total number of topics: 31645
Total number of registered users: 102967
This page was built together in: 0.9536 seconds

Make Your Own Website

Credit Card Processing

New PayPal Forums

PayPal Alternative

Free Shopping Cart Software