NoPaypal
You are not logged in! [ LOGIN ] or [ REGISTER ]
NoPaypal Horror Stories: PayPal UK edition Thread: Can I refuse to pay a debt collection agency request for money ? -- Page 1 | Jump To: 

Sender Message
Thread: Can I refuse to pay a debt collection agency request for money ?
manstein

Can I refuse to pay a debt collection agency request for money ?
Sent: 06-09-2008 02:58

anakaday,

I actually wrote them a letter , over 2 weeks ago asking them not to telephone me - I will have to write another letter it seems ,as i refuse to be intimidated or hounded , and they are only making me more and more determined to fight ,and defy them to do their worst ,

I would not like to owe this crowd more money , say 200 !!

anakaday

Sent: 06-08-2008 12:14

You can write to them to tell you not to write to you or phone you ever again.
If you do this, they will not send any more correspondance.
They are obliged by law.

manstein

Sent: 06-08-2008 10:49

Dear Sir ,
Yes
I did realise that Paypal were not interested in the fact
(1) I had a proof of posting , and
(2) the Buyer of the Postcard DID NOT WANT to pay for Recorded delivery ,
(3) and Paypal were not interested ,

so i closed my account ( which I am legally allowed to do ) ,
I did not have to transfer any cash , as i had transfer my paltry funds over a month before
( I NEVER left large amounts of money in my PP A/c due to fear of Paypal freezing funds )

YES you are quite correct _ The Buyer did a CC Chargeback

I am being hounded with Phonecall messages by the debt collector
and they are supposedly coming to visit me ( I don't believe it would pay them )on Tuesday .

whether or not you feel sorry for me , I played by the rules .
I don't see why I should be out of pocket for something which happened with the Mail , and has nothing to do with me

KevinG
Big BOSS

Sent: 06-07-2008 09:27

73north, Am I misunderstanding this because if not, it makes no sense.........

Paypal takes 12 back from you as a result of a complaint so you then transfer all remaining funds to your bank and close the account ?

So how are you overdrawn ? You can't have been overdrawn as a result of the refund otherwise you'd have no funds to transfer to your bank and PP wouldn't have let you close your account if it was negative.

Sounds more likely that you realised that a refund was likely to happen, cleared out your account and closed it and are now overdrawn because the buyer did a CC chargeback.

PPTerminator-
Big BOSS

Sent: 05-28-2008 20:35

manstein,

Yeah great website if this stupid administrator of this website stops taking out my links. Feels threatned doesnt he for what?

I dont see any side of PayPal just what they really are. Alot of people are morons with their head stuck up so far up their as es they believe anything people tell them.

manstein

Sent: 05-26-2008 09:42

PaypaL Terminator - great website !!

The truth is , you DO see a different side to paypal , I nearly got screwed once selling an expensive item, , but waited till I had transferred money before posting it , suprise - suprise - the payment is refunded ' due to fraudulent payment ' -

I would have lost this money IF I had not read this Forum advice

Fact is Paypalsucks , saves you time and money

I have heard nothing - from debt company

my advice to all , is fight your case let them know you intend to fight

Never Give UP !

best wishes

David

manstein

Sent: 05-23-2008 04:02

toadie, The latest news , is that I have heard nothing

no letters nor phonecalls , I sent a strongly worded letter stating I wasn't paying as I had already closed my account FIRST before Paypal decided to refund someone whom I had sold a postcard .
I also made it crystal clear I would fight it all the way , and if they wanted me to go to court , okay with me ( I also said I had been to court to fight my bank Charges with Royal Bank of Scotland last year ) .
Seems to be a result , I can't have my car clamped as that is illegal , plus I always lock up my car in my Garage overnight , and during the day I am not working ,

I recommend to anyone to fight the bully-boy tactics and stand up to them

My Username is the old one , I can't find my New Username and Password

best regards David

toadie
New User

Sent: 05-20-2008 06:06

patsy0802,
Legally they can't clamp your car. Goods etc can't be taken from you/clamped unless you have lost at court (judgement has been made against you). This means PayPal would have to take you to court for 12. They won't do this as it would cost a whole lot more than that to take you to court.

patsy0802
New User

Sent: 05-20-2008 04:37

toadie, id pay the 12. they might clamp your car and then itll be 112. my account is-400 due to a buyers bank reversing the payment 45days after i sold the product. pp are saying i owe them the money but im not paying. they havnt thretend me yet but i think its coming.

toadie
New User

Sent: 05-09-2008 06:51

Jim256,
If they have your new address then should be fine.
Paypal won't 'give' you a CCJ, a CCJ just means a court has made a judgement against you. So if Paypal take you to court and you lose, you have a CCJ. The real world issue in small claims is whether paypal will actually feel they have a strong enough case and the debt is enough to justify the time and money cost of court. SMall money claims are often not pursued by companies who find it is cheaper and more effective to use debt collectors. However in your case as the amount is not insubstantial, dependent on the case Paypal think they have against you, legal proceedinsg can't be discounted.. However if you are confident PayPal don't have a case then fine.

The only slight concern you should be aware of is that as the 'debt' is 750 that is the threshold for which a creditor can apply for your bankruptcy. Obvisouly I'm guessing you wouldn't end up being made bankrupt but the whole procedure is much more serious than the risk of a smalls claims action. As long as your debt is 750 you are open to the danger of Paypal serving you with a statutory notice for the money that if you then don't pay they can petition for your bankruptcy. Not saying this will happen but it is something you should be aware of!

Jim256
New User

Sent: 05-09-2008 06:10

Quote:
Jim256,
Might be an idea to update your details with your new address. If Paypal do issue a summons against you using your previous address that they have on record and then you don't respond cos you haven't seen it, they will apply for a default judgement. Although this can be set aside within a certain time frame, if you don't know about it you can't and might find later on when you can't get credit that you have a CCJ you didn't know about!

Hmm... from what I've read elsewhere on here it looks like it's actually impossible for them to give you a CCJ. They just send debt collection people after you.

I had actually updated my address on there ages ago but only my old one was "confirmed". So if they're using my old address, there's not much I can really do about it.

toadie
New User

Sent: 05-09-2008 05:12

Jim256,
Might be an idea to update your details with your new address. If Paypal do issue a summons against you using your previous address that they have on record and then you don't respond cos you haven't seen it, they will apply for a default judgement. Although this can be set aside within a certain time frame, if you don't know about it you can't and might find later on when you can't get credit that you have a CCJ you didn't know about!

Jim256
New User

Sent: 05-08-2008 21:49

Interesting. My account has been -750 for over 4 months now and I haven't heard anything from them... no letters, no phonecalls. Nada.

Perhaps they're still trying my old phonenumber and address?

In any case, even if they tried to persue legal action, I have so much evidence that they are in the wrong that it would be very stupid of them.

toadie
New User

Sent: 05-07-2008 04:53

73north,

In theory paypal could sue if they can establish a valid claim and then issue small claims proceedings against you. However it is safe to say for 12 they won't. To issue proceedings there is a court fee of 30 alone never mind about their legal costs (which will not be recoverable if they win although in theory the court fee is). If paypal want to issue against you they would have to attend your local county court which is a hassle for them and to be honest for 12 quid no one is going to bother.
If you went to court and lost and had to pay the 12 you would get a CCJ which would be bad for your credit rating. However if you pay the debt within 28 days of the judgement you do a simple application to the court to remove the ccj from your records so even that problem can be resolved.
Paypal will just get debt collectors onto you. These people are very different to court bailiffs. Bailiffs are acting under the authority of a court order and can seize goods etc. However debt collectors cannot. They can't even visit your house unless you invite them (so don't!!) The most they can do is hassle you with phonecalls and letters. Their only weapon usually is the ignorance of the debtor who thinks if he doesn't pay them he will get his stuff taken/go to court etc. If you can put up with phonecalls and letters just don't pay them, there's not a lot they can do. However for the sake of 12 i'd just pay to forget about it all - I know it's the principle but life's too short! You could also try speaking directly to paypal to come to some agreement - I would've thought they'd write off 12 instead of getting it and then losing all future business from you.
However if paypal have a valid claim for the money anyway you should just pay them, even though the amount is too small for them to realistically do anything about it.

adrians
New User

Sent: 05-06-2008 14:53

I would be interested to hear about this too.

1 - 15  16 - 16  Next

Statistics

Currently Online: 3 Guests Most ever: 152
Total number of messages: 78437
Total number of topics: 31645
Total number of registered users: 102967
This page was built together in: 1.2853 seconds

Make Your Own Website

Credit Card Processing

New PayPal Forums

PayPal Alternative

Free Shopping Cart Software