NoPaypal
You are not logged in! [ LOGIN ] or [ REGISTER ]
NoPaypal Horror Stories: PayPal UK edition Thread: Robinson way & Company debit collectors -- Page 1 | Jump To: 

Sender Message
Thread: Robinson way & Company debit collectors
DjSwift
New User

Robinson way & Company debit collectors
Sent: 08-04-2007 06:27

narixa,

Would you have a template of a letter to send in ?

naturally i would make it come from another country etc hehehheheh

<PayPalTerminator>
Not Registered

Sent: 08-03-2007 19:18

narixa,

hey Nar : is there anything on a website regarding the UK Consumer Protection Act. I want to add it to my new website coming up.

chenko
Message Maniac

Sent: 08-03-2007 08:37

I didn't say they couldn't contact you.

Yes it was, the telephone message I was left was definately from robinson way. They have used all postal mail, work number, mobile number, home number.

If you continued to tell me I owed you money, then that would be harassment though...

narixa
New User

Sent: 08-03-2007 08:22

chenko,

Debt Collectors ARE allowed to contact you. Under UK law they act as agents for other companies who are instructing them to recover monies they claim to be owed. They have absolutely no responsibility to check the history of the debt or the circumstances surrounding the claim; they are enforcers only. It sounds like harrasment, it looks like harrasment but it's very legal. There are many things in the UK which you would think weren't legal but are, such as bailiffs being allowed possesion of your property because they climbed in through an open window or put a foot over the threshold of your home; precidents set and laid down in the 18th century.

Basically, i could do a small bit of business with you and then claim you owe me thousands. I could threaten to take you to court but it's the threat itself that's designed to scare you into paying.

The only control you have over these parasites is to send them a letter forbidding them to phone you but they are free to continue sending mail; let them cos it costs them money each time.

As for phoning you at work; that's not allowed and even the most dodgy collectors don't really do that. Was it Robinson Way who phoned you?

chenko
Message Maniac

Sent: 08-03-2007 04:45

They called my at my work yesterday but I was busy and they never returned my call.

They also just called to my home address, with the name chris clark. So they might try and ask for you and not tell you who is calling first. Always ask who is calling on the phone before you declare who you are.

<PayPalTerminator>
Not Registered

Sent: 08-02-2007 19:22

DjSwift,

The way it works with collection agencies is that they pass it one company then they give up and then pass it along to another and the process goes on and on until the statue of limitations is over.

DjSwift
New User

Sent: 08-02-2007 17:08

@Narixa @paypalterminator

Thanks for the information above.
I am in the UK for reference. Im sure if they seriously wanted their money, NCO themselves would have taken me to court. They gave up and trying with a formal debt collector robinson way.

I dont think they can do anything about it.

Surely my father can threaten them to stop

I will not pay since I was the victim.

Thanks for responding.

chenko
Message Maniac

Sent: 08-02-2007 10:57

narixa,

Debt Collectors cannot demand money unless they have legal right to do so. You would have been in court if this was the case.

Coming to your house can be considered harassment, there isnt a line at which something is considered such so you can claim it whenever you feel harassed. So considering the phone calls, letters, multiple calls at sometimes to any number they know you are on, then the other debt collectors, fake claims to take you to court etc. That is quite easily understood to be harassment.

narixa
New User

Sent: 08-02-2007 06:04

DjSwift,

In the UK, debt collectors ARE allowed to come to your home; it's not illegal for anyone to walk up to your door and knock. However, you are entitled to just tell the guy to fook off. He can't do anything or enforce anything though they might try and pass themselves off as bailiffs. Even then bailiff's aren't to enter either if you don't want them to..unless they have a warrant. But don't worry, no bailiff company would touch a paypal debt.

As for phoning you, there is a legal precident that allows a debt company to contact you by phone between certain hours, i think it's 9am - 9pm. Unless you put in writing they can still keep phoning you. I wouldn't phone using a foreign sim card because they will still continue to ring your dads house because it had the desired effect, they you got you to call them. It's a tactic to wear you down in the hope you'll eventually pay.

Write them a letter then have your dad write a letter too. As the bill is in his name he can make a formal complaint about people tying his phone line up.

<PayPalTerminator>
Not Registered

Sent: 08-01-2007 20:32

DjSwift,

First off in the US, debt collectors CANNOT go to your house and ring your doorbell. Thats invasion of privacy and harrassement. Under no circumstances may a debt collector go to your place of residence or work and confront you on the debt that is owed. You should get a lawyer and sue NCO period.

DjSwift
New User

Sent: 08-01-2007 18:30

I had NCO on my case as well but they gave up
Last week a letter came to my parents place (i no longer live there)

Thing is they keep on harrasing my parents.

My father picked up the phone and they do not say who they are. When my fathers asks what its about. They say that they need to discuss business with me.

I told me father to tell them that I do not live there anymore.

But they just keep on calling. I will tell my father to tell them to fuk off and never call back as this is harassment.

The thing is though, should I call up from my foreign sim card and tell them to leave my parents alone as i no longer live there? I just hate talking to them uneducated fools. They have attitude problems

LouiseB24
New User

Sent: 08-01-2007 03:43

Glad I poped on this morning.
Too had a letter from Robinson Way - Ive had NCO chase me for the past year or so for the £214, I was scammed but Im glad I got the money out before hand.
Now have R/son way - seems very formal with - Final Demand - on the letter

Thing is, its at an old address (Redirect post) So next letter will go back as 'Unknown Occupant'

<PayPalTerminator>
Not Registered

Sent: 07-30-2007 18:28

narixa,

Pretty much thats all it is. Blow them off totally. They want to trick you into the cheapest way possible to folk over the money. First NCO now Roberts, now you see who PayPal hired to collect false debts NCO=SCUMBAGS + ROBERS=BIGGER SCUM BAGS + EBAY=SCUMBAGS + PAYPAL=FU CKEN SCUMBAGS. See the pattern!

narixa
New User

Sent: 07-30-2007 06:36

danm1990,

Hah, I've just got off the phone with some really snotty woman at Robinson Way. They're a thrid rate debt collection company used by credit companies with the worst track records for comsumer overcharging and service. Don't sweat it.

Anyway, I got scammed 18 months ago by some dirtbag who thought his goods were in transit when he asked PayPal for a refund. Without so much as a word of warning or question to me they immediately refunded him the money and put my account into negative balance. Luckily I could stop the package from being delivered and so, for the last 18 months, it's been a merry go round of letters and phonecalls. All that stopped in March when the dirtbag tried to take me to court for his balance and they found that he'd acted illegally and all the problems were down to him. Anyhow, after this victory i sent paypal a letter expecting the account to be cleared since i've now got a legal document stating he had no business requesting the refund. This morning I get a Robinson Way letter.

Anyway, because of this whole court business i've been advised by a number of legal experts, one of whom told me that PayPal cannot enforce ANY demand for payment because there are no written legal contracts. Someones already mentioned this.

Also, PayPal are not regulated by the Banking Ombudsman in the UK. As such the "Terms and Conditions" that they love to quote are highly suspect because they aren't obliged to include fair terms. Effectively, they ask you to sign away your legal rights. The woman at Robinson Way was quite baffled by my knowledge on this matter.

Finally, my solicitor advised me that should you repeatedly have problems with PayPal, go to your local small claims court for a claim pack and take them to court. Apparently 99% of monies owed to PayPal are down to their actions in giving spurious refunds or not checking accounts. Even if you had no money in your account at the time and your balance became negative, PayPal have still taken money from you. Simply take the amount they are demanding, add a reasonable amount of interest and hand it in. You need to pay a small fee but well worth doing if you want to flummox them. They'll either have to pay you OR waste money on legal fees trying to resolve the issue with the courts.

Overall though I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's not a debt and it cannot, in no way, go on your credit record. PayPal aren't part of that system and debt collection agencies can't put you on the blacklist despite what they might tell you over the phone.

When push comes to shove, tell them to take you to court. They won't ever do it because it costs too much and they know that if their practices ever got put infront of a judge, heads would roll.

Take it easy.
Now,

chenko
Message Maniac

Sent: 07-30-2007 05:15

Don't worry, few more years you will have a new address, number etc ;)

Try writing not at address on the front and returning it. You have to beable to spot them though.

Paypal will probably do this forever if they can, kinda free for them to do so. Whereas court costs.

1 - 15  16 - 22  Next

Statistics

Currently Online: 3 Guests Most ever: 152
Total number of messages: 78437
Total number of topics: 31645
Total number of registered users: 102967
This page was built together in: 1.154 seconds

Make Your Own Website

Credit Card Processing

New PayPal Forums

PayPal Alternative

Free Shopping Cart Software